Zydena is a drug that contains the generic component udenafil. The medication provides symptomatic relief in patients with erectile dysfunction. The mechanism of action of this drug involves increasing the flow of blood to the penis. The medication allows users and their partners to achieve sexual satisfaction.
The drug can be bought as an oral tablet. The drug is approved for use in single ventricle heart disease. However, the majority of its use is for impotence in adult men.
The users of this medication should know about its mechanism of action, indications, side effects, and alternatives to this drug. This information is provided below.
What is Zydena?
Zydena is a medication that helps men to lead a sexually fulfilling life. This drug is a treatment option for erectile dysfunction, a condition in which men are unable to get an erection despite sexual arousal. Men with this condition are unable to keep their erections for an adequate duration of time.
The drug acts as a phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor. By inhibiting this enzyme, the medication can increase chemical substances with vasodilator properties. In turn, these chemicals act on various blood vessels, including the vessels present in the penis. The engorged blood vessels in the penis help the erectile response.
South Korea-based pharmaceutical company Dong-A Pharmaceutical is the manufacturer of this medication. It is a leading pharmaceutical company in South Korea that also produces diagnostic medical equipment, drugs and biotechnological goods.
Zudena and Udzire are other medications that contain the same generic component that is present in Zydena. They all share the same drug properties.
What Is The Dose of Zydena?
Zydena is available in two dose forms. The lower dose form of Zydena is 100 mg. The higher dose form of Zydena is 200 mg. Both drugs are available as oral tablets which need to be consumed before the intended time.
How Long Does it Take for Zydena To Kick In?
Zydena is a medication that needs to be administered sometime before the intended effect. The drug should be consumed 30 to 40 minutes before sexual activities. The drug can work as early as 15 minutes after ingestion in some individuals and can take as long as 1.5 to 2 hours to work in others.
How Long Does Zydena Last?
Zydena has a long duration of action. After taking one tablet, the user can achieve an erection for up to 8 hours afterward. In some individuals, the effect of the medication is seen for up to 12 hours.
How Much Does Zydena Cost?
Zydena can be purchased at 27 USD for a blister pack of four tablets.
The History of Zydena
This drug was initially manufactured and discovered by a South Korean company, Dong-A Pharmaceutical. The drug was discovered in the laboratory during research for compounds that could inhibit certain enzymes in the body,
The drug has been approved for use in Korea . The drug is also approved for use in countries such as Russia and the Philippines. The drug has been through several trials and is widely available in the market.
Who Should Take Zydena?
Zydena should be consumed by men who suffer from male sexual impotence. The drug is not to be consumed by very young children and it does not enhance the sexual performance or libido in women.
Men who cannot get a penile erection and who cannot stay erect for an adequate duration of time can take this medication after a full assessment by a certified doctor. The doctor will prescribe the medication that is the best suited for an individual after analyzing the cause of the problem, other medications used and other co-morbidities.
The drug is also found to be effective in single-ventricle heart disease. The drug can be used after undergoing the Fontan operation. The drug is an effective vasodilator but it has not been approved for use in other diseases that might benefit from the dilation of certain blood vessels.
Is Zydena Safe?
Zydena has been approved for use in South Korea and many other countries after rigorous trials to ensure that the drug is safe for humans. The drug is safe to use in men who suffer from erectile dysfunction. The drug has certain side effects and a rare group of people within the general population may experience very severe side effects. Some people may also have an allergy to the materials used to manufacture this medication.
People who already have other severe diseases need to consult a doctor about the safety of this medication as some diseases are a contraindication to the use of this drug. Always consult a doctor before using this medication.
Common Side Effects of Zydena
The side effect profile of Zydena is listed below. Users of the drug and those who intend to use seek a consultation about the use of this drug should take an initiative to know about the common side effects associated with Zydena.
- Blurred vision and other visual field anomalies
- Hearing abnormalities and decreased capacity of hearing
- Indigestion and upset stomach
- Muscle stiffness pain
- Nasal inflammation and bleeding from the nose
- Persistent erection that can lead to discomfort
- Throat discomfort and inflammation of the pharynx
- A sensation of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk
Potential Drug Interactions With Zydena
Antacids include drugs such as aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide. These drugs create an alkaline environment that may not facilitate the absorption of Zydena. This can result in the ineffectiveness of the drug.
Blood pressure medication includes subclasses such as calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors and diuretics. These medications lower blood pressure. Zydena also lowers your blood pressure. The use of these two drugs together can result in a very severe drop in your blood pressure.
CYP3A4 inhibitors include drugs such as clarithromycin, ketoconazole, erythromycin and itraconazole. The drugs interfere with the metabolism of Zydena through direct action on the metabolizing enzyme.
Who Should Avoid Using Zydena
- Patient with congestive cardiac failure or obstruction to the flow of blood from the left ventricle
- Patients with unstable angina pectoris
- Patients with a chronic history of renal disease
- Patients with a chronic history of liver disorders such as alcoholic liver disease and liver cirrhosis
- Patients with ischemic optic neuropathy
- Patients with sickle cell anemia
How Does Zydena Work?
Zydena works by dilating blood vessels in the penis that allows the user to keep up an erection. The underlying mechanism behind this is a blockade of the action of certain enzymes in the body. Phosphodiesterase-5 is the main enzyme that is blocked.
Phosphodiesterase-5 metabolizes cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) and results in the loss of its dilatory effect on blood vessels. The blockade of the action of this enzyme allows cGMP to dilate blood vessels.
The user can maintain an erection and gain more sexual satisfaction from sexual intercourse. At the same time, the sexual satisfaction of the partner is also increased.
Some Points to Remember While Using Zydena:
- Do not give the medication to children
- Do not use the drug with other medication without consulting your doctor first
- Do not give the medication to pregnant women or breastfeeding women
- Use the drug as per the instructions of your prescribing physician
Medical Research Involving Zydena
Udenafil was discovered in Dong-A Pharmaceutical. The main office of this pharmaceutical company is in South Korea. At present, tadalafil is the only FDA-approved drug for once-a-day dosing. However, udenafil can be used as a once-daily alternative for erectile dysfunction. It works well in patients who show no response to tadalafil due to phosphodiesterase subtype selectivity.
The drug is approved for use in countries such as Korea, Brazil and the Philippines. The drug has undergone clinical safety trials and deemed to be a safe and effective drug.
Best Zydena Alternatives
Zydena is a phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor and there are several other drugs of this class that act as good alternatives for this drug. Some other classes of drugs also serve as effective alternatives for this medication. The best drug for you can be decided by your physician. Pharmaceutical alternatives:
- Sildenafil (Fildena, Nipatra, Viagra)
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Lexapro, Paxil)
- Tadalafil and dapoxetine combination (Duraplus, Edon-D)
- Udenafil (Zudena)
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
Natural Zydena Alternatives
Many alternative forms of medication can help with erectile dysfunction. These medications contain nutritional components and herbal derivatives. The drugs are quite popular as they do not need you to have a prescription. These alternatives will work for some people. Prescription medication can be the last resort if these medications do not work.
The major alternative forms of medication for erectile dysfunction are given below.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) — The sexual function in men depends on the amount of hormones and also the precursors of hormones. Low DHEA levels can affect the hormonal balance in the body. Supplementation of this substance can help enhance male sexual performance .
- Horny goat weed (Epimedium spp.) — This plant is used in Eastern medicine. The plant is known to have two major effects. The plant helps to enhance the functioning of neurons. It also aids in increasing blood flow. These properties help men to sustain an erection .
- Muira puama (Ptychopetalum olacoides) — Muira puama is a plant seen in the forests of Brazil. The plant is prominent in native forms of medications used in South America. The plant can be used to form a preparation that helps men to overcome impotence .
- Tribulus (Tribulus terrestris) — Tribulus is a drug that relieves urinary symptoms in older men. The drug also helps to maintain an erection .
- Yohimbe (Pausinystalia johimbe) — Yohimbine engorges the penile blood vessels and this allows users to have a more sexually fulfilling life .
Where to Buy Zydena in 2022
Zydena can be bought from your local drug store or it can be bought through online portals. Many pharmaceutical websites and applications deliver the drug straight to your doorstep.
Users of the drug gravitate towards buying Zydena online. This saves a lot of time for the user as the drugs are delivered to them. It is also easier as the drugs are packaged well and do not reveal the identity of the user. Recent advances in e-commerce technology have also made the whole process streamlined and easier.
References Cited in This Article
- Chang, H. J., Song, S., Chang, S. A., Kim, H. K., Jung, H. O., Choi, J. H., Lee, J. S., Kim, K. H., Jeong, J. O., Lee, J. H., & Kim, D. K. (2019). Efficacy and Safety of Udenafil for the Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: a Placebo-controlled, Double-blind, Phase IIb Clinical Trial. Clinical therapeutics, 41(8), 1499–1507.
- Li, K., Liang, S., Shi, Y., Zhou, Y., Xie, L., Feng, J., Chen, Z., Li, Q., & Gan, Z. (2021). The Relationships of Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate, Erectile Function and General Psychological Health. Sexual medicine, 9(4), 100386.
- Shindel, A. W., Xin, Z. C., Lin, G., Fandel, T. M., Huang, Y. C., Banie, L., Breyer, B. N., Garcia, M. M., Lin, C. S., & Lue, T. F. (2010). Erectogenic and neurotrophic effects of icariin, a purified extract of horny goat weed (Epimedium spp.) in vitro and in vivo. The journal of sexual medicine, 7(4 Pt 1), 1518–1528.
- Ferrini, M. G., Garcia, E., Abraham, A., Artaza, J. N., Nguyen, S., & Rajfer, J. (2018). Effect of ginger, Paullinia cupana, muira puama and l- citrulline, singly or in combination, on modulation of the inducible nitric oxide- NO-cGMP pathway in rat penile smooth muscle cells. Nitric oxide : biology and chemistry, 76, 81–86.
- Do, J., Choi, S., Choi, J., & Hyun, J. S. (2013). Effects and Mechanism of Action of a Tribulus terrestris Extract on Penile Erection. Korean journal of urology, 54(3), 183–188.
- Ernst, E., & Pittler, M. H. (1998). Yohimbine for erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. The Journal of urology, 159(2), 433–436.